Monday, January 21, 2013

Meet our New Events Coordinator, Rachel!


We are very glad to introduce Rachel, our new Events Coordinator. Rachel will be working with us until August, so hopefully you get the chance to get to know her! We already love her and she's only been here since the beginning of the year.

Take it away, Rachel!

1. Give us a little background information! Where are you currently enrolled? What is your major? Any other details?
            I am originally from Midland, MI and graduated from Midland High School in 2006. I spent the first two years after high school enrolled in community college with plans to transfer to a university to major in Athletic Training. After taking all my medical prerequisites and transferring into Central Michigan University's Athletic Training program I discovered that the medical field was definitely not for me. My roommates at the time were majoring in Recreation and couldn't stop talking about how much they loved all their classes and what they were learning. After taking a few classes in recreation I feel in love with the field, particularly the event planning side of  recreation. This fall I finished my course work for my Bachelors of Applied Arts with a major in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Services with a concentration in Commercial Recreation (which for any who don't know is any form of recreation that is for profit) and Facility Management. I minored in Event Management and Hospitality. This 30 week internship is the last step I need to complete before graduating in August 2013.

2. How did you find Events North and what captured your attention and made you apply?
            My boyfriend is from Northern Michigan and loves the Traverse City area. We had been living together for almost a year and he was looking at jobs in this area. I decided to do some research on event companies that I could possibly fulfill my internship at in Traverse City. I came across Events North on their website. Looking through all the event planning services that they provided that ranged from weddings, corporate events, fundraising, and non-profit really caught my attention. I haven't narrowed down what area of event planning, if any, I would prefer to work in as of now and felt that working with a company that had experience working in all areas would be a great experience. The testimonials from clients and all the achievements Allison and Events North have achieved helped solidify my opinion that I could learn so much from working with this company. I had no idea if Events North even accepted interns until I emailed Allison about any type of learning experience that they offered to students. After interviewing with Allison and Meaghan I was even more excited about the possibility of working for Events North.

3. What are you most excited about?
            I am most excited about all the great opportunities I will have to work on events and take what I have learned through my college course and apply it to the real world. I am also excited for all the amazing people I will be networking with. One of my professors always said "It's not what you know but who you know". After the first week I have already met so many amazing people who love their jobs and are fantastic at them. I can't wait to see what I can learn from them and apply it to my work in the future.

4. How was your first week?
            My first week has flown by. I can't believe that it is already Friday. I was a little worried starting this week on how I would adjust to working a nine to five job (even though there will be nights and weekend events and meetings that I will have to attend) as I have spent the last six years working at restaurants and late night shifts. But surprisingly I haven't had a problem adjusting. I think it has something to do with how much I actually enjoy coming into work. Every day is different and very hands-on, which for me as a hands-on learner is fantastic. Being included in meetings and having my own projects to work on has really helped me to feel a part of the company. I am looking forward to what the next twenty nine weeks will bring.

5. What are your favorite hobbies? 
            I love to read! Everything from Harry Potter to Chelsea Handler to Fifty Shades of Grey. I bought a Kindle Fire last year and it has made my love of reading so much easier. I also love to spend time outdoors. I recently starting snowboarding and love spending the day out on the slope even though I am still learning and fall very often. Now that I am living in Northern Michigan I am hoping my snowboarding skills will improve. Once the weather starts to warm up I plan to spend a lot of my time disc golfing, which is another skill that I hope will improve because as of now I really am not that good  but it is a great way to get outside. Like most women I love to lay on the beach sipping a cold drink and soaking up the sun.

6. Favorite movie? Color? Food?
            My favorite color is blue and in all shades especially the bright ones. I love Italian food. Making some sort of pasta is always my go-to meal. Favorite movie is a little more difficult to narrow down. I would have to say my top movies are Moulin Rouge, Dirty Dancing, Grown Ups,  and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

7. Tell us a random fact about yourself!
            I am the oldest out of six children. There Lisa (22), Evan (18), Kathryn (10), Marissa (7), and Emily (3). So I am used to having lots of people around and more often than not a little bit of chaos. It took me a while to adjust to living on my own, it was very empty and quite at first.


           

No comments:

Post a Comment